Three incidents on Saturday evening kept firefighters, paramedics and Fire Investigators busy. Incidents included an apartment building fire, house fire and an auto fire with fatality. Estimated fire loss from the incidents exceeds $1.5 million and displaced 24 families.
OXON HILL APARTMENT FIRE
Firefighters from Oxon Hill and surrounding communities battled a fire that damaged two apartment buildings. On Saturday, December 26, 2009, at about 5:45 PM, Fire/EMS units responded to 538 Wilson Bridge Drive, a 3-story garden style apartment building, and arrived to find heavy fire on the second floor extending to the top floor and roof. A 2ND Alarm was sounded bringing a total of 60 firefighters and paramedics to the scene. A 3RD Alarm brought additional Fire/EMS units into the area as they staged nearby in the event they were needed. The fire extended through the upper floor and roof of 538 Wilson Bridge Drive then extended into an attached apartment building at 540 Wilson Bridge Drive.
Incident commanders declared the fire under control at 7:30 PM. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported. Fire Investigators determined that the fire was started accidentally and attributed to an unattended candle. Fire loss is estimated at $1.5 million.
The Fire/EMS Department’s Citizen Services Unit and the American Red Cross assisted 23 families that were displaced from their apartments. The displaced residents, 56 adults and 11 children, were provided temporary shelter in area hotels.
SEAT PLEASANT HOUSE FIRE
A family of seven was displaced when their Seat Pleasant home sustained fire damage. Just before 11:00 PM, Saturday, December 26, 2009, Fire/EMS units responded to 417 Carmody Hills Drive and found a fire on the second floor and attic area of the single family home. It required about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire that caused an estimated $50,000 in fire loss. Fire Investigators believe the fire is accidental and “electrical” in origin. The family of 4 adults and 3 children were assisted by the Fire/EMS Departments Citizen Services Unit and the American Red Cross with temporary shelter at a nearby hotel. No injuries were reported.
BADEN AUTO FIRE WITH FATALITY
At about 11:15 PM, Saturday, December 26, 2009, Firefighters from Baden were alerted to an auto fire in the 15200 Block of Baden Naylor Road. Firefighters arrived to find an auto well involved with fire and discovered a deceased person inside upon extinguishment. Fire investigators and the County Police Department are conducting an investigation. The identity of the deceased is not available.