@PGFDPIO Twitter

Friday, January 29, 2010

Residential Sprinklers Contains Upper Marlboro Fire

A residential sprinkler did what it was designed to do this morning saving an Upper Marlboro family and their home. At 12:54 AM, Friday, January 29, 2010, firefighters were alerted to a fire inside of a house in the 13900 block of West End Farm Road. An engine from Croom Fire/EMS Station #845 was the first to arrive at 1:04 AM and soon discovered a fire in a second floor bedroom of the 4000 square foot 2-story house located in a non-hydrant community. A residential sprinkler activated and extinguished the majority of the fire and prevented any fire spread or extension. Firefighters ensured the fire was completely extinguished, ventilated the smoke and overhauled the damaged area. In what could have been a disaster was limited to an estimated fire loss of $8,000. The cause of the fire was listed as “Accidental” by fire investigators and no injuries were reported. The damage was so minimal that the family was not displaced.

Prince George’s County was the first in the Nation to require residential fire sprinklers in all new construction. Since that law was passed in the early 1990’s there have been zero fire fatalities in any residential structure protected by residential sprinklers. For additional information on residential sprinklers in Prince George’s County see our 15 Year Study by clicking this link:

http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/images/Prince-Georges-County-Report.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment