@PGFDPIO Twitter

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Cleaning May Have Prevented This Home Fire

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Prince George’s County Firefighters made a quick knock on a fire inside of a Suitland home this morning. Just before 10:00 AM, Tuesday, March 23, 2010, Fire/EMS units were dispatched to the 5900 block of Cable Avenue for a 911 report of a fire in a house. Firefighters from Morningside and Silver Hill were the first to arrive and encountered a 2-story split level home with fire and smoke showing from the lower level. Firefighters confirmed that the 3 occupants that were home were outside and safe. The fire had started in the lower level furnace room and had extended up to the upper level when firefighters arrived; they extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes. No injuries to civilian or firefighters were reported.


A total of 9 residents, 5 adults and 4 children, will be displaced as a result of the fire. The Departments Citizen Services Unit is assisting the family with temporary arrangements. Fire Investigators from the Department’s Office of the Fire Marshal determined the cause of the fire was combustible material too close to the furnace. Fire loss is estimated at $85,000.

Citizens and residents are reminded that at least 3-feet of space must be provided to furnaces, space heaters, water heaters and other appliances that could spark a fire. Now is a good time to perform a spring cleaning checklist that includes removing all materials from around your appliances, checking smoke alarms and planning and practicing a home escape plan. For additional information on home safety tips contact our Livable Communities Smoke Alarm Hotline at 301-864-SAFE (7233).

No comments:

Post a Comment