@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, April 5, 2010

Grills Ignite 2 Home Fires on Sunday

Warm weather and a festive weekend for family gatherings had many residents breaking out grills to cook dinner. Unfortunately, two of these occasions led to fires spreading from the grills and igniting decks and extending into the homes.

The first incident occurred on Sunday, April 4, 2010, at about 4:30 PM. Cooking on the rear deck ignited a structure fire causing an estimated $25,000 in fire loss at a single family home in the 10000 block of Treetop Lane in Lanham.

The day’s second incident occurred at about 7:00 PM at a single family home in the 4200 block of Ulster Street in Beltsville. This fire ignited by the grill being too close to the house caused an estimated $125,000 in fire loss and displaced the family. One firefighter sustained a minor burn and was treated and released from an area hospital.

The men and women of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department remind our citizens and residents to use outdoor cooking appliances safely and with extreme care.

Safety Tips

Ø NEVER use a grill indoors including garages, overhangs and canopies

Ø By Law - Grills must be at least 30 feet away from any multi-family apartment dwelling.

Ø When using a grill at your single family home – homeowners should use a 10-foot perimeter from anything combustible – including your house!!!

Ø In Prince George’s County - all grills are illegal to use on balconies of apartments and condominium apartments

Ø Do not allow children and pets to play near a grill

Ø Only use approved ignition fluids – NEVER use gasoline to ignite a grill

Ø Keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose or bucket of sand nearby to douse a grill fire

Ø Inspect your grill before you ignite to ensure everything is in working order.

Stay Prepared, Stay Informed and Stay Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment