@PGFDPIO Twitter

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Auto Fire with Burn Injury and Disabled Commuter Train Incidents

Prince George’s County Firefighters and Paramedics responded on two significant incidents on the evening of Monday, June 21, 2010.

At about 5:30 pm, firefighters from Seat Pleasant responded to several 911 calls reporting an auto fire in the 7200 bock of G Street in Capitol Heights. Upon firefighters arrival they encountered an auto well involved with fire and found an occupant inside. The victim was removed and the fire was extinguished. Paramedics arrived and treated the unconscious adult male patient that suffered from severe thermal and smoke injuries. The critically injured 30ish year old patient was flown to a Burn Unit by way of meda-vac helicopter - Maryland State Police Trooper 2. Investigators from the Fire/EMS Departments Office of the Fire Marshal and the County Police Department are conducting a joint investigation into this incident.

At about 7:50 pm, a 911 call was received reporting a passenger on a disabled MARC Train,an adult female, was experiencing difficulty breathing. The 911 caller described their location as being on the third car of a commuter train on the MARC tracks prior to the Cheverly Station. Firefighters and paramedics arrived and encountered a stalled MARC commuter train with about 200 occupants on-board. For whatever reasons the train had become disabled. The air conditioning was not operating and passengers were subject to uncomfortable heat conditions. Initial crew’s ensured AMTRAK officials were aware of the situation and that they would be operating on the track bed. Taking all safety precautions firefighters and medics started to triage the passengers. Additional EMS resources were summoned to the scene and assisted with the triage, treatment and transport of sick individuals. As many as ten passengers were evaluated and treated on the scene for heat related illnesses. Three passengers required transportation to a hospital; a 50ish year old female and 30ish year old male suffering from heat related illnesses and a 30ish year old male suffering from an asthma attack were transported by paramedics to a nearby hospital. Firefighters and medics remained on the scene until commuter train officials had the passenger situation under control. Fire/EMS units cleared the scene at about 9:15 pm. A total of 22 Fire/EMS personnel on-board 1 engine company, 6 ambulances, 2 paramedic units, 1 EMS command officer and a fire incident commander operated on the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment