At about 8:15 am, Wednesday, September 29, 2010, firefighters responded to a report of a natural gas leak near Largo Road (Route 202) and Campus Way South in Largo. Upon arrival they found a 4 inch high-pressure natural gas line break that occurred during land excavation on the grounds of the Prince George’s Community College (PGCC).
There were 35 firefighters, paramedics and hazardous material technicians working on the scene and deploying atmospheric monitors throughout the affected area. Taking all safety precautions into account; roads were closed and the Fire/EMS Department evacuated 8 buildings on campus. These building included Bladen Hall and others in the immediate vicinity. Largo High School was not evacuated, however, asked to curtail outdoor activities until the situation was mitigated.
PGCC officials took additional precautions and conducted an evacuation of the remaining buildings on campus including the day care center.
Washington Gas Company officials arrived and worked to stem the high pressure release of natural gas. At about 12:45 pm, an all clear was received when the gas was secured. Fire/EMS Department units cleared the scene and released all evacuated buildings back to PGCC officials. There were no injuries during the course of the incident.