@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, May 16, 2011

Natural Gas Leak Disrupts Chillum-Adelphi Community (FINAL)

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

At about 10:30 am, Monday, May 16, 2011, Prince George's County firefighters and paramedics from the Chillum-Adelphi area were dispatched to the intersection of 21st Avenue and Amherst Road for a natural gas leak.

A WSSC crew installing new water lines accidentally struck and broke a 6-inch high-pressure natural gas line. The product could be seen releasing at high pressure into the atmosphere with a strong pungent odor throughout the community.

This is a residential community of single family homes. While no trace of the product was found in any of the nearby structures, as a precaution, 6 homes (9 occupants) located in the immediate area of the break have been evacuated. Dozens of other residents have been denied entry into the community as WSSC and Washington Gas officials work to shut off the flow of product.  Washington Gas Company officials were able to terminate the flow of natural gas at about 2:45 pm without causing any widespread utility outage.  Occupants were allowed to return to their homes, however, some residential roads remained closed as work was on-going.

There were 25 firefighters and medics on-board 8 pieces of Fire/EMS Equipment that operated or stood-by during this incident.

Firefighters stand-by as utility crews work to stop the high pressure release of natural gas. (Mark Brady)

No comments:

Post a Comment