For Immediate Release: August 22, 2011
Contact: Erroll W. George, Spokesperson, 240-832-5761
Capitol Heights House Fire
Firefighters from Capital Heights and surrounding stations were alerted to a house fire in the 1500 block of Nova Avenue this evening just after 8:00 pm.Fire/EMS units arrived within minutes and encountered smoke coming from the basement of the 2-story single family home. There were initial reports of occupants trapped inside of the home, however, the smoke alarms alerted the residents to the fire and all occupants were able to escape.
It required about 20 minutes to extinguish the bulk of the fire. There were 38 firefighter/medics, command officers and support personnel that operated on the scene of this incident.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical malfunction and an estimated fire loss of $100,00.00. Two firefighters were transported to an area hospital with minor injuries. No other civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.Extensive overhaul was required due to excessive debris and materials stacked in the home.