MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
A member of the Forestville Volunteer Fire Department recognized right away she needed help when she was began choking on a piece of food. Being trained as an Emergency Medical Technician she recognized the food lodged in her throat was blocking her airway and she needed help and quickly.
The 42 year old female volunteer was setting up the banquet area for a funeral luncheon to be held later in the day, Wednesday, October 26, at the firehouse located in the 8300 block of Old Marlboro Pike in Forestville. After eating a piece of food, she felt it lodge in her throat and she made several attempts to cough. Her attempts were unsuccessful and she immediately sought help. She could not breath.
Firefighter/Medics had just returned from a call around 10:30 am and were in the firehouse kitchen when the female entered and displayed the universal sign for choking with her hands clutching her neck. The first firefighter she came in contact with was Fire Fighter/Medic Technician Sean Roth. He recognized the female was choking and instinctively moved behind her and applied an abdominal thrust, a Heimlich maneuver, which dislodged the obstruction. He evaluated the now breathing female and determined she was OK. She declined to be transported to the hospital and returned to her work in setting up the luncheon.
To learn the Heimlich maneuver, CPR and how to operate an external defibrillator call our CPR Hotline at 301-864-LIVE (5483).
View more videos at: http://nbcwashington.com.