Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
At about 4:30 this afternoon, Saturday, October 1, a fire erupted at a 3-story garden apartment building in the 8800 block of Hunting Lane in Laurel. Firefighters from Laurel Rescue Squad were the first to arrive and found heavy smoke from the roof and fire on the top two floors in the rear. A Second Alarm was sounded bringing 65 firefighters and paramedics to the scene. It required about 15 minutes to knock down the bulk of the fire. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. A 2 year old cat, "Blackberry," was found after the fire had been extinguished, removed unharmed, from a second floor apartment and reunited with his owner.
The fire appears to be accidental and started by malfunctioning furnace. The furnaces are located on the balconies of these apartments. Fire loss is estimated $250,000.
Thirteen apartments between 2 buildings have been declared uninhabitable. A total of 29 residents will be displaced. They are being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit, American Red Cross and apartment complex management.
|2-year old "Blackberry" was removed from an apartment that was well involved with fire and returned to his owner.|