Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
A early morning house fire on Griffen Street in Lewisdale Sunday morning, November 27, 2011, claimed the life of a 6 year old and two family members remain in critical condition.
Fire Investigators could not locate a smoke alarm in the home. Firefighters returned to the Lewisdale community yesterday afternoon and visited about 250 homes and provided 55 working smoke alarms and fire safety literature.
Firefighter/Medics across Prince George's County will continue with a smoke alarm distribution effort today between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. Armed with smoke alarms and safety information firefighters will go door-to-door to ensure homes are afforded the protection of a working smoke alarm. Having a working smoke alarm increases the chances of surviving a fire by 50%.
Citizens and residents need not wait for a member of the Fire/EMS Department to knock on your door to receive a smoke alarm. Call our Safety First Smoke Alarm line at 301-864-SAFE (7233) and a firefighter will come to your home and install a smoke alarm; free of charge. This free smoke alarm program is possible thanks to a generous donation of these life saving devices by PEPCO and the IAFF Local 1619 to the Fire/EMS Department.
Remember to test your smoke alarm monthly by pushing the "test" button on the front cover and ensure a warning tone is heard. If no sound is emitted, replace the batteries immediately or replace the entire device. Replace your battery at least once-a-year and if your smoke alarm is 10 years old; replace it with a new one. Have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, especially, outside of sleeping areas.
On Sunday, November 27, 2011, about sixty career and volunteer firefighters canvassed the Lewisdale community and provided smoke alarms and fire safety information to 250 homes. Fire/EMS Stations participating in this effort included; Chillum-Adelphi #834, Chillum #844, Hyattsville #801, Baldensburg #809 and College Park #812.