MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
|Bowie Volunteer Fire Fighter Travis Murdoch, Fire Chief Marc Bashoor and Fire Fighter Michael Conway during presentation of Emergency Services Awards for rescuing four people trapped in their burning home. (BRADY)|
Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor presented two deserving members of the Fire/EMS Department with awards recognizing them for their efforts in rescuing four people trapped in their burning home.
On the morning of November 25, 2011, at 0406 hours, Bowie Fire/EMS Station #839 was dispatched to 14100 block of Pleasant View Drive for the report of a house on fire with people trapped. Fire Fighter Michael Conway was riding the “bar” position and Bowie Volunteer Fire Fighter Travis Murdoch was the officer-in-charge on Engine 839B. Upon entering the two-story, single-family dwelling, crews encountered heavy “blacked out” smoke conditions and intense heat in the first floor hallway. A fire was located on the first floor in the living room area and crews advanced a hose line to extinguish the fire. As crews were working to contain the fire, Conway and Murdoch found the steps and ascended to the smoke and heat filled second floor, where Conway proceeded to the right and Murdoch taking the rooms on the left. Without the protection of a hose line, the pair began a search of the second floor bedrooms for the two adults and three children reported to be trapped in the home. Conway entered a room and located four female victims. He led them to an exterior balcony, where Murdoch and fellow crew members assisted with removing three of the victims from the balcony and onto the ladder. The three 12 year-old female patients were turned over to the care of awaiting paramedics, who assessed them and transported them to the hospital. For mobility reasons, the fourth victim, an adult female, was unable to exit via the ladder. A decision was made to remove her via the interior stairwell. Fire Fighter Conway removed his SCBA face piece and placed it on the victim, allowing her to breath fresh air as the exited through the thick smoke, and with the assistance of an officer on the scene, she was removed to safety.
The three 12 year-old females were treated and released from the hospital later that day; however, the adult female was hospitalized for several days before being released.
Fire Chief Bashoor presented the pair with Emergency Services Award on Monday, January 23, 2012, at the Bowie Fire/EMS Station 839. He stated, “For your performance on the scene of the aforementioned incident, you are hereby presented a Fire/EMS Department Emergency Service Award. Congratulations and thank you for an outstanding job. Your actions represent the excellent service our Department strives to provide to the citizens of Prince George’s County.”
|Bowie Volunteer Chief Lee Haven and Fire Fighter Michaels Conway's father and Fire/EMS crews from the Bowie stations were on hand to witness the presentation of awards.|