At around 9:00 am, Wednesday, March 21, Prince George’s County Firefighters were alerted to assist a contract worker that was left in a heightened position after his equipment suffered a mechanical malfunction. Contractors working along the tree lined driveway of the Glenn Dale Fire/EMS Station #818 at 11900 Glenn Dale Boulevard had one of their elevated work platforms breakdown leaving a worker elevated about 20 feet in the air. The worker was not injured and was safe inside his elevated bucket. Attempts to fix the mechanical problem were unsuccessful and the Tower Ladder Truck from Bowie Fire/EMS Station #839 was brought to the scene. Tower 839 has a “bucket” which can be elevated and is the preferred unit to effect this type of rescue. Taking all safety precautions into account, a firefighter ascended in the bucket of the Tower 839 up to the worker and assisted him to safety. No injuries were involved and everybody was fine. Just another incident in the day of a firefighter.
Mark E. Brady