@PGFDPIO Twitter

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

CO DETECTORS PRESS CONFERENCE

MEDIA ADVISORY

PRESS CONFERENCE

FIRE DEPARTMENT URGES RESIDENTS TO PUT UP CO ALARMS FOLLOWING DEADLY CARBON MONOXIDE INCIDENT THAT KILLED FIVE

CO Detector Manufacturers Donate Devices for Area Families


WHO: Marc S. Bashoor, Fire Chief, Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department

Representatives of Utility Companies; PEPCO, WSSC and Washington Gas

WHAT: The poisoning deaths of five Oxon Hill residents in late April is a terrifying reminder that accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can happen any time.

There is no typical situation for accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. This one happened from a faulty heating system but can easily happen with any fuel burning source used in or near a home. The fire department urges everyone to take this time to make sure they install CO alarms to protect families.

Please note that carbon monoxide alarms do not replace smoke alarms. Both are required to keep families safe.

Legislation is currently being researched for future consideration of a law to require CO Detectors in every residence, where appropriate.

A number of CO Detectors have been donated by manufacturers, First Alert and Kidde, as well as other offers to donate and a distribution plan will be announced.


Tips to help prevent accidental carbon monoxide poisoning:
* Have a licensed HVAC contractor check fuel burning appliances every year.

* Install CO alarms near sleeping areas. Alarms can be battery operated, plug-in with battery backup or hardwired with battery backup.

* Never use a portable generator indoors, including in your home, garage, basement, crawlspace, shed or partially-enclosed area – even with ventilation. Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent CO buildup in the home.

* Never bring a charcoal grill in an enclosed area, even with ventilation.

* Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.

* Get to fresh air and call 911 right away if you start to feel dizzy or weak.
WHEN/WHERE: Cranford-Graves Fire Services Building, 6820 Webster Street, Landover Hills, MD (GPS-Hyattsville). Thursday, May 10, 2012, 11:00 am.







No comments:

Post a Comment