@PGFDPIO Twitter

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Contractor Injured in Lanham Electrical Accident

One man sustained serious burn injuries while working in a Lanham building this afternoon.  At about 1:45 pm Firefighters and Paramedics responded to the Lanham Center at 5900 Princess Garden Parkway for a report of smoke inside the building.  Upon arrival at the high-rise commercial office building firefighters discovered an adult male, 30ish, had sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns to about 20% of his body and a co-worker sustained less serious burn injuries to an arm.

It appears that one of the men was working on a 480-volt electrical panel inside the building.  For whatever reasons, a flash fire or electrical arc occurred injuring the man and igniting his clothes.  A co-worker came to his aid, extinguished the fire and sustained a small burn injury while doing so.

Firefighters secured the area and requested PEPCO to the scene to ensure the scene was safe.  Paramedics treated the two contractors and transported the 30ish year old male to a Burn Unit for treatment.  His burn injuries are serious, however, non-life threatening.  The co-worker was treated on the scene and refused transportation to the hospital.

Firefighters remained on the scene to ventilate residual smoke and eventually turned the scene over to the building management.

No comments:

Post a Comment