MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
Five University of Maryland students need to find a new place to live and study for exams after a fire damaged their College Park rental house. Just after 11:00 pm, Sunday, May 13, firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 7000 block of Baltimore Avenue. Fire/EMS Units arrived quickly to find a fire in the basement of a 1-1/2 story single family house. The off-campus house is used as a rental that houses five occupants, 4 males and 1 female, that attend the nearby University of Maryland. There was only 1 student home at the time of the fire, he was studying for final exams which start today.
It required about 15 minutes for 25 firefighters to extinguish the fire. The cause is believed to be a light fixture on the ceiling of a basement bedroom. There was a small amount of extension to the first floor. Fire loss is estimated at $13,000. One firefighter sustained a sprained ankle while battling the fire; he was treated and released last night from a local hospital.
The one student at home was assisted by the County Citizens Services Unit with temporary shelter at a hotel and with other basic need items. The other four occupants had not returned as of early this morning.
|This College Park house sustained damage after a electrical malfunction in the basement. Five University of Maryland students were displaced. |
Photo by Billy McNeel, CSU