Just after 9:00 am today firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 5000 block of Edmonston Road in Bladensburg. Firefighters arrived to find a 1-story single family home with smoke coming from the rear of the house. Firefighters immediately initiated a search for any occupants and advanced hose lines to extinguish the fire.
All the occupants had self evacuated prior to the fire departments arrival. Firefighters found a small fire in the basement kitchen that was quickly extinguished. Two occupants, a female, 60ish years of age, and a toddler had been exposed to some smoke and were transported by ambulance to a hospital for evaluation of possible smoke inhalation.
The cause of the fire is accidental and attributed to cooking. Fire loss estimates are about $2,000 and there was no need to displace the residents as the home is fit for occupation.