@PGFDPIO Twitter

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fort Washington House Fire - Botley Drive

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Firefighters battled a fire in a single family home that caused an estimated $60,000 in damages this afternoon. At about 1:30 pm firefighters from Oxon Hill and surrounding communities responded to a 911 report of a house fire in the 8600 block of Botley Drive in Fort Washington.  When Fire/EMS units arrived they found fire coming the first floor of a 2-story house.  The occupants had escaped safely prior to the fire departments arrival.

Firefighters initiated an aggressive attack on the fire and extinguished the blaze within 15 minutes of arrival.  Even though the family had confirmed everyone was out of the house, a complete primary and secondary search of the structure were completed.

It appears the fire started in the kitchen as a result of unattended cooking.  The fire grew in intensity and extended to other portions of the house before being extinguished.  One firefighter sustained minor burn injuries and was treated and released form the Burn Unit at Medstar-Washington Hospital Center.  Long after the fire had been extinguished and firefighters were cleaning up, a female occupant of the damaged home was overwhelmed from the heat of the day and the emotions of the event.  She was transported to an area hospital in good condition.

The County Citizen Services Unit assisted the displaced occupants of the home.  Three adults, five children and two dogs were provided relief and temporary shelter by the American Red Cross.

Damage from the fire can be seen above the kitchen door on the side of the house.  Photo by Steve Sterns, OEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment