@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Greenbelt Apartment Fire - Hanover Parkway


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E.Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

At about 8:15 am today firefighters were alerted to an apartment fire in Greenbelt. Fire/EMS units arrived at 7814 Hanover Parkway to find smoke coming from a top floor of a apartment 3-story garden style building.

Firefighters advanced hose lines into the building and initiated a search and evacuation of residents. A fire was located in the kitchen of an apartment and quickly extinguished by the first arriving firefighters. The damage was limited to the kitchen area with no extension.

Two children and their 15-year-old baby sitter were in the apartment of origin when cooking on the stove ignited nearby combustibles. The 15-year-old evacuated himself and his two younger female siblings to safety prior to the fire departments arrival. The siblings were exposed to some smoke and paramedics transported all 3 to a hospital for evaluation of possible smoke inhalation.  They are in good condition.

The cause of the fire was unattended cooking and fire loss is estimated at $40,000. Only the apartment of origin is deemed unfit and apartment complex management will assist the displaced family.




No comments:

Post a Comment