For Immediate Release:
July 1, 2012
For Information Contact:
Scott L. Peterson
(Media only please, residents should call 301-583-1950)
Prince George’s Reopens County Cooling Centers Today
County Pools, Water Parks, Shopping Centers Provide Refuge From the Heat
Hyattsville, MD – Prince George’s County is under another excessive heat advisory today, Sunday, July 1, 2012. The Prince George’s County Office of Emergency Management will resume operations of its cooling centers at 20 locations around the County. The County also is promoting the use of County pools as well as having residents go to local shopping centers to find air conditioning and refuge from the heat.
Below is a list of cooling centers, pools, and shopping centers that will be available to residents on July 1st.
All Community Centers listed below will continue to serve as Cooling Centers from 1:00pm – 9:00pm unless noted.
Accokeek Academy Middle School (24-hours)
Baden Community Center
13601 Baden-Westwood Road, Brandywine, MD
Berwyn Heights Community Center
6200 Pontiac Street, Berwyn Heights, MD
Bowie Senior Center
14900 Health Center Drive, Bowie, MD
Camp Springs Senior Activity Center (12noon – 6pm)
6420 Allentown Road , Camp Springs, MD
12 noon -6pm
Tucker Road Ice Rink
1770 Tucker Road, Fort Washington, MD
Potomac Landing Community Center
12500 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington, MD
Glenarden / Theresa Banks Complex
8615 McLain Avenue, Glenarden, MD
Columbia Park Elementary School Community Center
1901 Kent Village Drive, Landover, MD
Robert J. DiPietro Community Center, (11am– 8pm)
7901 Cypress Street, Laurel, MD
Anderson & Murphy Community Center/Armory (11am-8pm)
422 Montgomery Street, Laurel, MD
Glassmanor Community Center
1101 Marcy Avenue, Oxon Hill, MD
Kentland Community Center (24-hours)
2411 Pinebrook Avenue , Landover, MD
Curry Sports and Learning Complex
8001 Sheriff Road, Landover, MD
Palmer Park Community Center
7720 Barlowe Road, Landover, MD
Lake Arbor Community Center
10100 Lake Arbor Way, Mitchellville, MD
Prince George's Plaza Community Center (24-hours)
6600 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville, MD
Cedar Height Community Center
1200 Glen Willow Drive, Seat Pleasant, MD
Suitland Community Center
5600 Regency Lane, Forestville, MD
County Administration Building (Lower Level only, 10:30am-8pm)
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive Upper Marlboro, MD
Other Activities to Stay Cool
The following swimming pool facilities will also provide FREE swim admission today with extended hours until 8:00 p.m.
North Barnaby Splash Park
5000 Wheeler Rd, Oxon Hill, MD
J. Franklin Bourne Memorial Pool
6500 Calmos Street, Seat Pleasant,
Theresa Banks Memorial Aquatics Center
8615-A McLain Avenue, Glenarden,
Lane Manor Splash Park
7601 West Park Drive, Hyattsville, MD
Prince George's Sports and Learning Complex
8100 Sheriff Road, Landover MD
The following shopping facilities have been confirmed open with power today:
Blvd at the Capital Centre
Interstate 95/495 at Arena Dr.
Largo, MD 20774
6000 Greenbelt Rd.
Greenbelt, MD. 20770
Bowie Town Center
15606 Emerald Way
Bowie, MD 20716
Mall at Prince George's
3500 East-West Highway
Hyattsville, MD 20782
Other updates from EOC:
· Residents who require overnight accommodations are encouraged to go to the shelter at Northwestern High School, 7000 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville, MD. In addition, residents who are in need of recharging their medical oxygen devices should go to one of the cooling centers, fire stations or the Northwestern High School shelter to charge their equipment.
· The Prince George’s County Fire Department reminds citizens to use battery operated lights and flash lights in lieu of candles. A couple of post-storm fires that occurred were the result of residents using candles for light. We have also had issue with Carbon Monoxide due to misuse of generators. For safe tips on generator use please click here.
· The Prince George’s County Department of Family Services has been regularly communicating with all senior citizen, assisted living centers, and nursing homes in the County. Residents are encouraged to check on the elderly, neighbors, family members and those who may have special needs.
· The County Animal Shelter is now without power. Residents who have pets that need shelter should call (301) 780-7200.
· Prince George’s County is still currently under WSSC water restrictions. Residents are asked to conserve water and use only when absolutely necessary.
· Residents and media are encouraged to follow @CountyExecBaker on Twitter or “County Executive Rushern Baker” on Facebook for information and updates. The phone number to the Emergency Operation Center is 301-583-1950.