Five firefighters and a resident were injured in the fire. Photo: Prince George's County Fire
Prince George’s County fire officials say firefighters had to rescue four people from the Huntley Square Apartments in the 3700 block of Huntley Square Drive Thursday night.
Fire officials say the residents became trapped inside a unit on the terrace level of the three-story apartment complex.
The resident who lived in the apartment where the fire started said he pulled two fire alarms but neither worked.
The fire appears to have started from an egg roll that was left unattended on the stove.
Four firefighters suffered burns and a resident was burned on her feet after the blaze ripped through the bottom floor ceiling and up to her apartment, officials say.
Fire Chief Marc Bashoor said another firefighter, a 10-year veteran who ran toward the screams of a frantic woman, suffered smoke inhalation and exhaustion.
Bashoor says the firefighter went to rescue the woman but become trapped as well. While inside, the firefighter and the woman shared an oxygen mask before being rescued minutes before running out of air.