@PGFDPIO Twitter

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kitchen Fire Displaces Four College Students

Prince George's County Firefighters were alerted to a fire at an apartment complex that houses University of Maryland students this evening.  Fire/EMS units arrived at the Courtyard apartments at 8000 Boetler Lane in College Park at around 5:30 pm and found heavy smoke coming from a first floor apartment. Firefighters found remnants of a fire in the kitchen that had been mostly extinguished by the sprinkler system.

The fire was completely extinguished within 5 minutes of arrival. The cause was accidental and attributed to unattended cooking. Fire loss is estimated at $5,000. No injuries were reported. The four college students that reside in the apartment were displaced and will make their own temporary shelter arrangements with friends.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries not only here in Prince George's County but across the Country. Always remain in the kitchen while food is cooking.

Mark Brady

No comments:

Post a Comment