MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
Carbon Monoxide is referred to by first responders as the “silent killer.” If your home is not protected by a working carbon monoxide (CO) detector then it is impossible to detect if your house is filling up with the potentially deadly gas. CO is invisible and has no odor and the only way a home occupant can determine if there are unhealthy levels in their home is to have a working CO detector.
The Southlawn community in Oxon Hill has been one of the hardest affected areas by CO. Five occupants of a home were overcome by CO and died earlier this year. Another home recently had unhealthy levels of CO that required hospitalization for the occupants. As temperatures continue to fall and winter fast approaching, staying warm becomes a priority. Unfortunately, staying warm, if not done safely, could be a fire and health concern.
Prince George’s County Council Member Obie Patterson - District 8 is stepping up efforts to ensure homes and families are protected from the perils of fire and carbon monoxide. His office has obtained smoke alarms and CO detectors that will be installed in homes throughout District 8. Council Member Patterson will work with Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor and the personnel of the Fire/EMS Department to go door-to-door in the Southlawn community to check on homes and ensure they are safe. Firefighters will perform a visual inspection of furnace areas and ventilation pipes and provide safety information and advice. A combination smoke and CO alarm will be installed in homes that need them – at no cost.
WHAT: Kick-Off of Council Member Patterson’s Safe Homes Campaign
WHEN: Friday, November 30, 2012, 1:00 pm
WHERE: Westfield Drive and Haven Avenue - Oxon Hill, MD
WHO: County Council Member Obie Patterson – District 8, Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor, Firefighter and Paramedics, residents and staff from District 8.