@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Springdale House Fire - 92nd Avenue - Cause and Origin Update

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

At about 9:30 am, Thursday, February 21, a Maryland National Capitol Park and Planning Police Officer happened upon a working house fire in the 3900 block of 92nd Avenue in Springdale.

Firefighters arrived to find a 1-story single family home, with exposure building on the rear side,  Firefighters found fire showing and heavy smoke coming from the rear of the structure.  Neighbors reported that a disabled occupant could still be in the house and firefighters were in the process of a search of the homes interior when conditions deteriorated rapidly and all personnel were evacuated from the structure.  After a bulk of the fire was knocked down from the exterior, firefighters re-entered the structure to complete their primary search.  The occupant was soon located safe and out side of the home.

Firefighters completed extinguishment in the primary house and the exposure with 45 minutes.

No injuries were reported.  Fire Investigators found that a pile of leaves was accidentally ignited by the homeowner while using a propane torch.  The burning leaves subsequently ignited the home and exposed structure in the rear of the house.  Fire loss is estimated at $100,000.  The structure has been declared "unsafe" with the 2 home occupants being displaced.

These photos were provided courtesy of Brad Bell, WJLA TV 7 News, Prince Georges County Bureau Chief




No comments:

Post a Comment