@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, February 11, 2013

Temple Hills Fire Related Fatality - Rayburn Drive

Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

It is with deep regret that the Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS)  Department announces a tragic fire related death.  On Friday, February 8, Firefighters and Paramedics were alerted to a person suffering from burn injuries at his home in Temple Hills at around 2:30 pm.

Fire/EMS units arrived at the single family home in the 5900 block of Rayburn Drive to find that an adult male had sustained critical burn injuries over the majority of his body when his clothes were ignited after coming into contact with a "torpedo style" kerosene space heater.   The man was working on an automobile at the time of the incident.  A family member helped to extinguish the flames and sustained less serious burn injuries himself.

The critically injured adult male was transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center where he succumbed to his injuries early Saturday morning, February 9.

The deceased is identified as:

George Lee White, 77 years of age (10-13-1935), of Temple Hills, Maryland.

A torpedo heater has a cylinder shape and is usually portable with two wheels and a carrying handle. It is a powerful space heater that can easily heat large spaces and often overpowers small areas. The heater is commonly used on construction sites and other outdoor areas. A torpedo heater is powered by electricity, kerosene or gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment