Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor will join firefighters going door to door in a Cheverly neighborhood this morning. This effort is a result of a house fire yesterday where a deceased female was found. While a smoke alarm was found in the debris, it was non-working due to the lack of a battery.
Fire Chief Bashoor and firefighters will go door-to-door and check with residents about the status of their smoke alarm and offer to test the alarm and replace it if needed.
In other parts of the County firefighters will be spending time in communities as part of the Departments "Safety First Day of the Month" which is when we ask all residents to test their smoke alarm to ensure it is working.
The Cheverly effort will begin at 11 am in the 2400 block of 59th Place in Cheverly.