@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Fort Washington House Fire - Loughran Terrace

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

A fire that was accidental in origin caused significant damage to a Fort Washington home and displaced the family.  At around 10:00 pm, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 8900 block of Loughran Terrace.  Upon arrival, fire/EMS units found a 2-story in the front, 3-story in the rear, single family home with fire showing from the rear.  The fire touched all 3 levels before being brought under control.  Additional personnel were brought to the scene to assist in the extinguisment.  There were 40 firefighters on-board 11 pieces of apparatus in addition to command officers that operated on this incident.

For whatever reason the house had no electricity and occupants were using a gasoline powered generator on the exterior of the structure under a upper level deck.  The generator ignited nearby combustibles which spread up the structure exterior including the wooden deck and then inside the homes interior.

The family was displaced and assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.

No injuries were reported and fire loss is estimated at $100,000.

Images provided by Assistant Fire Chief Steve White.

Rear of the house shows basement level and 2 upper floors.  The fire started on the ground level, extended to the deck and into the homes interior.


No comments:

Post a Comment