MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
|Conditions upon arrival of Silver Hill Engine 829. Photo is courtesy of a member of the community.|
A Suitland family was alerted to a fire on the second floor of their home on Wednesday evening. At about 6:45 pm Fire/EMS units were alerted to a fire on the second floor of a 2-story duplex in the 2200 block of Houston Street. The engine from the Silver Hill Fire/EMS Station was the first to arrive and encountered smoke and fire showing.
Upon arrival firefighters entered the home and conducted a search for any remaining occupants and stretched a hose line to the second floor and knocked down the fire. There were no reported injuries. Fire Investigators believe the fire was accidental and started by an electrical malfunction. Fire loss is estimated at $40,000.
The family of 4 adults and 1 child will be making their own arrangements for temporary shelter.