MEDIA ADVISORY - Live Christmas Tree Safety Demonstration

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930     @PGFDPIO

Everywhere you travel it seems you see a family on the way home with a recently purchased Christmas tree tied to the top of their vehicle.  The family will soon place their tree inside the house and decorate it.  Decorating a Christmas tree is a long-standing tradition that is festive and brings joy to many.  However, if not properly maintained from the time of purchase until you remove the tree – this festive and joyous event could easily turn to tragedy.  This upcoming weekend is slated to be the busiest weekend to purchase and decorate a tree – please select and enjoy your tree safely!!!

A “live” Christmas tree that is appropriately maintained and safety precautions with decorations in place should be safe inside of your home for up to two weeks.  However, according to the National Fire Protection Association, although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.  A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six of the fires and one of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical failures.

To assist residents and business better understand the dangers of an improperly maintained tree indoors the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department will provide a visual demonstration of an ignition and rapid consumption of a dried out tree.

WHAT:                  Christmas Tree Safety – Live and visual demonstration

WHEN:                  Tuesday, December 17, 3:00 pm

WHERE:                District Heights Fire/EMS Station 826 – rear parking lot.
                                5900 Marlboro Pike, District Heights (near intersection at Silver Hill Road)

WHO:                    Council Member Karen Toles, Fire Chief Marc Bashoor and the men and women of the        Fire/EMS Department.