@PGFDPIO Twitter

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Oxon Hill Apartment Fire - Iverson Street

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A fire of accidental origin damaged an Oxon Hill apartment building on Monday, December 30, 2013.  At about 9:30 am firefighters from the Oxon Hill area and surrounding communities responded to 1404 Iverson Street and arrived to find a garden style apartment building with light smoke showing.

The fire started after an electrical malfunction in a bathroom ceiling.  The fire extended through the walls to upper floors before the fire was extinguished.  A fire inside of walls and floors is very work intensive as walls and floors must be removed to extinguish the fire and ensure it is out.  Fire loss is estimated at $10,000.  Medics treated one occupant suffering from difficulty breathing after being exposed to smoke inside of her apartment.  There were no transports and no other injuries reported.

It required about 30 minutes to declare the fire out.

14 apartments were declared uninhabitable.  Nine apartments are short-term displacements because of the lack of electric and gas service and 5 apartments due to damage from the fire.  The County Citizen Services Unit, complex management and the American Red Cross assisted the displaced residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment