Prince George’s County Firefighter/Medics and County Police handled a tragic incident early this afternoon involving a young child.
At about 12:30 pm, Saturday, February 8, a 911 call placed by a Suitland family member prompted the response of Firefighter/Medics and Police Officers for a child being unconscious after becoming entangled in cords attached to window coverings.
A family member initiated CPR after the child was found. Public Safety units arrived quickly at the single family home and took over resuscitative efforts. A 6 year-old-female was transported by paramedics from the home in the 6700 block of Larkspur Road to a nearby hospital. Despite the very best efforts of the family, firefighter/medics and police the child succumbed to her injuries shortly after arriving at the hospital.
The men and women of the Fire/EMS Department offer our sincerest condolences to the family.
The Prince Georges County Safe Kids in conjunction with Safe Kids Worldwide, a global organization dedicated to preventing injuries in children provides the following safety tips in hopes of preventing future injuries of this nature.
Strangulation by window covering strings and cords is an injury typically seen in children age 5 and under. Safe Kids recommends the following;
Keep Cords Out of Reach
• Keep cords and strings, including those attached to window blinds, out of your child's reach. Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords.
• If you live in an apartment building or home where you are not allowed to replace your window coverings, follow basic window cord safety rules and order free retrofit kits from the Window Covering Safety Council at www.windowcoverings.org.
The circumstances surrounding this afternoons tragedy will be the focus of a Prince George’s County Police Department investigation. All questions should be referred to them.
Story posted by Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesman/PIO, Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department