Two Sons, Firefighter/Medics for PGFD, Ride with Dad, Retiring After 35 Years of Service in Montgomery County

Talk about "Take Your Kids to Work Day" this was a family reunion on April 24, 2014.  This was the final day of a 35 year career for Master Fire Fighter Steve Wiseman of the Montgomery County Department of Fire/Rescue Services.  His two sons, John and Jason, are officers with the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department, surprised him by being part of his crew that day.




A local firefighter affectionately known as "Superman" will be retiring after spending more than 35 years on the force.
Steve "Superman" Wiseman once saved eight people from a burning house, all while wearing gym shorts. 
"I had some close calls in my life but that was probably one of the closest," Wiseman said.
And it's not the daring, life-saving rescue that got him the nickname.
Wiseman had just gone through a bevvy of operations -- two knee surgeries, a neck fusion, a back operation -- and immediately returned back to work at the Montgomery County Fire Department.
"My body has been telling me for the past couple years it's time to go, it's starting to break down a little bit," he said. 
Family, friends and co-workers shared affectionate stories of "Superman" Wednesday.
"It's very emotional," Wiseman said. "I feel like I'm losing a part of my family."
Though he is retiring, his two sons -- firefighters with the Prince George's County Fire Department -- will continue his legacy. 
"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!" Wiseman joked. 
Wiseman, a single father, raised his boys in College Park.
"I look at them and I say, 'We did good.' I've raised my boys on baseball and the fire department."
He told News4's Zachary Kiesch after 35 years, he could operate a fire engine's seemingly complicated levers blindfolded. 
"I loved going to work because I knew I was going to make a difference in somebody's life," Wiseman said.
On his last day, Wiseman got to work with his two sons.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. (WJLA) - Montgomery County Master Firefighter Steve Wiseman is making one of the last calls of his 35-year career, one of the most special.

On Thursday, Wiseman took a ride on the fire truck with his sons, Jason and John Wiseman. Both  followed him into the fire service and rose up through the ranks of Prince George’s County Fire Department.

“There’s not a prouder person on this piece than me that my sons are following in my footsteps like they are. It just doesn’t get more rewarding than that,” the eldest Wiseman said. “I raised them on two things I knew, and that was baseball and the fire department.”

Riding with his sons is memorable, but bittersweet, he said.

Over the years, he’s passed up promotions so he could always be there for his sons but that didn’t mean passing up the opportunity to help people.

In 2013, he rescued eight people using only a single ladder. That was one of his most memorable calls, Steve Wiseman said.

Other firefighters have given him the name, “Superman” because he seems to things that no other person can do.

“He’s probably the most passionate person in this career out there and he still says to this day, ‘I love waking up and going to work.’” his son, Lt. Jason Wiseman said.

Now as one season of his life draws to a close, he prepares for another role, one of full-time grandfather.

“I’ve been blessed with a great family the fire department is my second famly and I’ve been blessed with a great career,” Steve Wiseman said.



All of these firefighters started their fire services career at the Branchville Volunteer Fire Company in
College Park.


Add caption




Comments