@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, July 7, 2014

Working Smoke Alarm Alerts Townhouse Occupants of Basement Fire

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Another success story in Prince George's County with a family escaping unharmed from their burning home thanks to a working smoke alarm.  A carelessly discarded match ignited combustibles in the basement of a 2-story, middle of the row, townhouse in the 1800 block of Tulip Ave in District Heights (Ritchie) just after 1:30 this afternoon.

The fire grew in intensity and smoke soon set off a smoke alarm.  Upon hearing the tones emitted by the alarm, the 2 adult females escaped safely and without injury.

911 was called and firefighters arrived first from the nearby Ritchie Volunteer Fire Station quickly followed by other area firefighters.  The fire was extinguished with 10 minutes of arrival.

Having a working smoke increases the chances of you and your family escaping by 50%.  Early notification to the Fire Department reduces the amount of damage caused by the fire.  Have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home.  The Fire Department recommends you purchase a 10-year, tamper proof, with hush alarm feature.  Never change a battery again.

Fire Investigators determined the fire to be accidental and estimated fire loss at $15,000.  No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

The County Citizen Services Unit assisted the 2 adult females and the American Red Cross will provide temporary shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment