@PGFDPIO Twitter

Friday, September 12, 2014

Bladensburg Townhouse Fire Displaced Nearly 3 Dozen Residents


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A Bladensburg fire has displaced 34 residents and numerous pets from 6 town homes this afternoon.  At about 4:45 pm firefighters responded to the 5400 block of Doris Court in Bladensburg for a report of a townhouse on fire.  First arriving firefighters arrived and found a middle of the row 3-story townhouse with smoke and fire showing.  A 2nd Alarm was sounded bringing over 80 firefighters and paramedics to the scene.  It required about 40 minutes to knock down the fire, which left 4 town homes with significant fire damage.

It appears the fire started on the rear deck of one of the townhouses and extended up the rear exterior wall and into the roof area.  The fire extended vertically via the attics.  An outdoor barbecue grill was in use on the wooden deck when the fire started.

There were no injuries reported.  The cause of the fire is listed as accidental and attributed to careless cooking.  Fire loss is estimated at $750,000.

Cooking, both indoors and out, is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George’s County.  Remember to never leave food cooking unattended.  Ensure your grill is at least 10 feet away from anything combustible (30 feet for any multi-family dwelling).

The County Citizens Services Unit and the American Red Cross are assisting 24 adults and 10 children with temporary shelter.




No comments:

Post a Comment