@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, January 12, 2015

District Heights Townhouse Fire Quickly Extinguished

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

At about 12:30 pm, Monday, January 12, Firefighters from the District Heights area were alerted to a townhouse fire.  Fire/EMS units arrived in the 7000 block of Marbury Court to a 2-story middle of the row townhouse with a working fire.  Initial arriving firefighters had the fire extinguished within 8 minutes of arrival.

As with previous fires over the weekend the structure had working smoke alarms which alerted the occupants.  The occupants evacuated and went to a neighbors house to call 911.  There were no injuries reported.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a candle that ignited furniture.  The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in fire loss to the structure and contents.  One dog was found deceased while another was saved.

One adult and 5 children will be displaced.  They are being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit and the American Red Cross with temporary shelter.

Smoke alarms save lives.  If you need a smoke alarm and can not afford to purchase one call 311 and a firefighter will make arrangements to install one in your home, free of charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment