@PGFDPIO Twitter

Sunday, January 11, 2015

PGFD Firefighters Battle 5 Home Fires Within 14 Hours - No Injuries


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Prince George’s County Firefighters battled five unrelated home fires within 14 hours starting around 12:30 pm on Saturday, January 10.  Four of the home fires occurred within Prince George’s County with accidental causes of the fire and no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.  Prince George’s County firefighters also provided mutual aid to Anne Arundel County on the other home fire.

Saturday, January 10

12:30 pm - 900 block of Palmer Road in Fort Washington.  3-story garden style apartment building - Cause of fire was a faulty furnace on top floor with extension to the roof.  $200,000 estimated fire loss.  No injuries.  27 occupants of fire building displaced.

12:40 pm – 400 block of Deale Road in Anne Arundel County – House Fire.

7:30 pm – 3800 block of Clark Street in Boulevard Heights – 1-story single family home.  Plumber sweating pipes earlier in day ignited combustibles.  $150,000 estimated fire loss.  No injuries reported.

10:30 pm – 6600 block of Chestnut Avenue in Riverdale – 2-story single family home.  Improperly discarded fireplace ashes left in attached carport started fire with extension to house.  $30,000 in estimated fire loss.  No injuries.  2 adults displaced.  A working smoke alarm alerted residents of the fire.

Sunday – January 11

2:00 am – 6700 block of Gateway Boulevard – 2-story single family home – fire in an 2nd floor bedroom caused by a malfunctioning power strip.  A working smoke alarm alerted sleeping residents of the fire.  $10,000 fire loss.  No injuries.

Smoke Alarms and Home Escape Plans

Working smoke alarms save lives.  A exit drill should be planned and practiced identifying 2 ways out of every room in the house and a safe meeting place outside.

We highly recommend the use of 10-year, tamper proof, with hush feature smoke alarms installed on every level of your home, primarily outside of sleeping areas.  If you sleep with your bedroom door closed an alarm should be installed in your room as well.

County residents that need a smoke alarm and can not afford to purchase one themselves should call 311 and arrange for a firefighter to stop by and install one, free of charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment