MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
Staffing and apparatus from one Beltsville Fire/EMS Station have been temporarily relocated to their sister station while emergency plumbing and associated repairs are ongoing.
A broken sewage pipe that drains kitchen waste, not human waste, was found Friday night at the Beltsville Fire/EMS Station 831 located at 4911 Prince George's Avenue. Working with the volunteer leadership a decision was made, with an overabundance of caution for personnel health and safety, to relocate firefighters and apparatus to the nearby Calverton Fire/EMS Station 841. The stations are just over 3 miles apart.
This temporary relocation will continue until repairs are made or it is determined that the interior air quality is safe and healthy.
When the broken sewage pipe was discovered on Friday approximately 300 gallons of trapped kitchen waste was released from behind interior walls into an area underneath the station. This kitchen waste product has since been mostly abated.
In order to make permanent repairs to the cracked iron sewage pipe a section of the stations kitchen floor must be removed. The flooring contains asbestos so additional abatement must occur first before additional repairs can be performed. There is no time estimate available for the completion of repairs or test of the interior air quality.
The relocation is expected to have minimal impact on response times and public safety.