@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Firefighter Hospitalized After Battling Bowie House Fire

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A firefighter remains hospitalized after suffering a medical emergency while battling a house fire yesterday.  At around 7:00 pm, Wednesday, July 1, firefighters from the Bowie area were alerted to a house fire in the 16200 block of Pointer Ridge Drive.  Upon arrival firefighters found smoke showing and a fire in the kitchen.

Firefighters made a quick knockdown of the fire and confirmed the home occupant was safe outside.  There were four cats inside the house.  One of the pets was found deceased and 3 others were unaccounted for.

Firefighters determined that food cooking on the stove was the cause of the fire.  A estimated fire loss was not submitted.  There were no civilian injuries and one firefighter experienced a medical incident.

After the fire was out a 22-year-old Bowie Volunteer Firefighter was transported to a nearby hospital after complaining of an illness possibly related to fatigue and dehydration.  He was admitted overnight to the hospital for additional tests and treatment.  He is reported to be in Good Condition.

Cooking food, most notably, unattended food on the stove, is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George’s County and the entire Country.  Never leave food cooking on the stove or barbecue grill unattended.  “Watch what you Heat.”


The lone occupant of the house was displaced and assisted by the Red Cross – National Capitol Region with temporary shelter. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment