The position of Fire Fighter I/II with the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department is now open. You must apply on line and can do so by clicking here.
Please use the material below for informational purposes only. You must apply on line.
PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY APPLICATION PROCESS
|Job Title:||FIRE FIGHTER I/II (51-16-CRS52)|
|Opening Date/Time:||Thu. 08/20/15 12:00 AM Eastern Time|
|Closing Date/Time:||Mon. 09/21/15 5:00 PM Eastern Time|
|Location:||Various Locations Throughout Prince George's County, Maryland|
|Exam #:||PSI 51-FF1-CRS52|
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED
The Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Fire Fighter I/II, grade Y-01. Recruits are trained in the Fire/EMS Training and Leadership Academy as a Fire Fighter I.
This position is entry-level firefighter trainee work responsible for combating and preventing fires, operating and maintaining Fire and EMS equipment, apparatus and quarters; providing first aid, basic life support, and transporting patients. This work may expose incumbents to hazardous conditions/situations and includes the operation of emergency vehicles and equipment.
|Examples of Work:|
• Provides basic and/or advanced life support, first responder and pre-hospital emergency medical care; provides necessary medical care and transportation to all patients within the scope of practices as defined by state and county regulatory agencies;
• Applies modern techniques relative to fire code enforcement, interpretation and inspection; assists in hydrant and hose testing;
• Drives, operates, inspects, maintains and cleans fire apparatus and/or other vehicles; assists in getting equipment and apparatus prepared for further alarms; assists in maintaining apparatus, equipment, station and grounds; ensures adequate stock levels and proper operation of equipment and supplies; and performs routine housekeeping duties;
• Participates in fire drills and training exercises;
• Conducts fire prevention programs in schools;
• Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies, associations, management, staff, and the public; and
|Applicants must have a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) recognized by the Maryland State Board of Education; must be 18 years of age at the time of application, or may be 17 years of age (turning 18 years of age at the completion of the Fire Fighter Academy Recruit Class) and must have completed the Prince George's County High School Fire Science Program with the following certifications: Fire Fighter I, Fire Fighter II, Emergency Medical Responder, Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, Truck Company Operations, Rescue Technician Site Operations, Rescue Technician Vehicle and Machinery Extrication, Hazmat Awareness, and Hazmat Operations at the time of application; must have a valid driver's license at the time of application.|
Please note - using a mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, to complete this application is NOT recommended. You are highly encouraged to use a desktop or laptop computer so that you can carefully and thoroughly read and understand all aspects of applying for this position.
All male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 and over are required to register with Selective Service. Please go to the Selective Service website to register or verify your registration.
All notifications for this position will be made via email, therefore each applicant must update their on-line profile with any changes to personal information, and must continually monitor the email account provided. Also, be sure to update your junk/spam settings to allow emails from all addresses ending in "@co.pg.md.us".
SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants must successfully complete and pass all of the following:
• Written Examination
• Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT)
• Background Investigation to include:
• Credit Check
• Criminal Background Check
• Psychological Screening
• Oral Board Panel Interview
• Conditional Offer of Employment
• Medical Examination – complete NFPA 1582 physical
DISQUALIFIERS: The following factors are considered disqualifying and may result in non-selection for employment as a Prince George's County Fire Fighter. Each of these disqualifiers will be reviewed for each applicant on an individual basis.
• Criminal conviction, guilty plea or probation for a felony.
• Conviction of any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude (breaking and entering, theft, arson, or assault).
• Four (4) or more negative points on a Maryland Operator's License or the equivalent for out of state licenses until the points expire.
• One DWI/DUI conviction, guilty plea or probation within three (3) years of the date of application. More than one (1) DWI/DUI conviction, guilty plea or probation.
• Any conviction for serious violations including, but not limited to, manslaughter, hit-and-run with injury, leaving the scene of an accident, eluding police or any suspension, revocation or refused licenses until the license is reinstated.
• Illegal possession, usage, distribution, sale or purchase, of non-prescription narcotics, controlled substances or illegal drugs (such as marijuana, heroin, cocaine, hallucinogens, etc.).
• Any misrepresentation, falsification or omission of any information on any application, document or in response to any question in the applicant process.
• History or pattern of alcohol abuse.
• Previous disqualification from this, or any other public safety agency.
Additional or other reasons for disqualifications may include (but are not limited to) the following: poor work history; failure to meet physical standards; inability to complete any of the component parts of the selection process; and/or any other disqualifying factor as determined by the Fire/EMS Department.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Any of the following:
• EMT-B certification (Maryland or National Registry)
• EMT-I certification (Maryland or National Registry)
• EMT-P certification (Maryland or National Registry)
• Acceptable Military Service (Honorable Discharge)
• Veteran's Preference
• Successful Completion of College Credits
• Successful Completion of the Prince George’s County Fire Cadet Program
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All persons selected for the Fire Fighter I/II position must agree to and sign a Condition of Employment stating the following:
• At the completion of Fire/EMS Recruit School, the employee shall have obtained and thereafter maintain Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate or Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic certification that meets or exceeds the minimum standard adopted by the Department.
• Maintain a driver operator license for class of vehicle specified by the Fire Chief.
• Maintain at least an overall satisfactory rating in the County's Past Performance Appraisal System.
• Participate in and successfully complete a mandatory Physical Fitness Program as designed by the Fire/EMS Department.
• Successfully complete Fire/EMS Recruit School, the probationary period (1-year), and the Recruit Study Guide under guidelines established by the Fire Chief.
• Successfully pass ALL Fire/EMS Recruit School courses.
EXAMINATION INFORMATION: The entry level examination will be given under this announcement. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be provided additional information regarding the written examination, the date, the time and location of the test. It is strongly encouraged and recommended that applicants attend the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) overview immediately following the written examination.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, an employer is required to hire only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. Applicants who are selected for employment will be required to show and verify authorization to work in the United States.
CLOSING DATE: In order to be eligible for the 2015 examination, each applicant must submit a completed application on-line, maintain the email account designated in the application, because notices will only be delivered via email, and update your profile whenever there are changes to your personal information, in order to be considered. The application must be completed and submitted on-line via the Prince Georges County website: All completed applications must be received by 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on September 21, 2015.
Applications WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED if received after 5:00 PM (EST) on September 21, 2015.
PLEASE NOTE: If you experience difficulties submitting your application on-line, please call 301-883-6330 or you can come to the Office of Human Resources Management - REC Division, 1400 McCormick Drive, Suite 159, Largo, Maryland, for assistance. The HR Staff will be available to guide you through this process.
Prince George's County Government is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Committed to Diversity in the Workplace
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation during the application and hiring process can click here for specific instructions.