MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
A Landover Hills family is alive and well today after being awakened by a working smoke alarm at about 3:30 this morning. Firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 6800 block of Farragut Street and arrived to find a 1-story, with basement, duplex with fire and smoke showing from one side. A quick search of both sides of the duplex resulted in no one being found in the duplex of origin and 2 residents assisted out of the other half. The fire on the first floor had extended up into the attic and was soon contained and extinguished by first arriving firefighters.
Unattended cooking was the cause of the accidental fire that resulted in an estimated $100,000 in fire loss to the structure and contents. The family was awakened by a working smoke alarm that emitted the audible warning of fire. The family exited the home safely prior to the fire departments arrival. One resident became emotionally overwhelmed by the situation and was taken to a local hospital for an evaluation. One firefighter sustained a minor burn injury while fighting the fire he was treated and released from a burn unit. Both duplex families are displaced and the Office of Emergency Management is assisting the residents.
A working smoke alarm increases the chances of surviving a fire in your home by about 50%. 10-year, tamper proof, with a hush feature smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home just outside of sleeping areas and one in every bedroom. Having a 10-year smoke alarm means you will never have to change a battery again. 10-year alarms will reduce the number of fatalities that occur in homes found with no smoke alarms or alarms found with a lack of or dead batteries.
Each home should also have a pre-designed and practiced escape plan which identifies 2 ways out of every room and a safe meeting place outside. Once out of a burning house, stay out!!!
Today, Saturday, October 24, firefighters and officials from the City of Bowie will be going door-to-door checking smoke alarms. Personnel will ask residents if they can check their smoke alarm to see if it working. If there is no smoke alarm present or if we find a smoke alarm that is not working and appears to be 10-years of age or older a new 10-year smoke alarm will be installed at no cost. This community risk reduction effort is made possible by a generous donation of new smoke alarms by Lowes of Bowie and lunch provided to firefighters and city officials by TJ Elliot’s.
This is our agenda this morning.
Meeting at Bowie Fire Department Station 819
13008 9th Street, Bowie at 10:00 am
Teams will visit as many as 88 homes in all in the following areas:
Maple Ave, from 9th street to 6th Street
Old Laurel Bowie Rd, from 9th Street to 5th Street (east side)
6th Street from Maple Ave to Old Laurel Bowie Rd
7th Street from Maple Ave to Old Laurel Bowie Rd
8th Street from Maple Ave to Old Laurel Bowie Rd
Chapel Ave from 8th Street to 9th Street.
Sunday, November 1, is the Safety First Day of the month and is also the day we adjust our clocks back 1 hour for Daylight Saving Time. It is also the time we remind everyone that when we change our clocks to change the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms as well. Better yet. If you still have 9-volt battery powered smoke alarm or your current alarm is 10-years old than consider changing to the 10-year smoke alarms. Never change a battery again but remember to continue to test all alarms once a month on the Safety First Day of each month.