MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson. 240-508-7930
As children and adults checked their Halloween costumes and Saturday festivities and firefighters reminded everyone about providing fresh batteries in their smoke and CO alarms, the Metropolitan Washing Council of Governments Fire Chiefs committee spoke about safety. On Friday, October 30, Fire service leaders met and jointly discussed safety issues that initially were prompted by a fatal fire in Charles County and a near tragedy in a Fairfax County townhouse fire.
Leaders provided information on proven safety tips that included Halloween, smoke and CO alarms, Exit drills in the home, keeping your bedroom door closed and cold weather. The Fire Chiefs press conference was held in the lobby of the Council of Governments building on North Capitol Street in NW Washington DC.
|Prince George's County Fire Chief and Chairman of MWCOG Fire Chiefs Committee opens press conference|
|Fairfax County Fire Chief Richie Bowers provided information on why |
sleeping with your bedroom door closed is so important in surviving a burning house
|Chief Bashoor spoke about the life-saving smoke and CO alarms|
|District of Columbia Fire Chief Gregory Dean provided details about exit drills in the home and |
how they should be planned and practiced twice a year
|Charles County EMS Chief John Filer provided safety tips about trick or treating and Halloween|
|Loudon County Deputy Chief spoke on the upcoming cold weather and safety tips to survive|