MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
A typical Christmas Day fire/EMS safety tip would include cooking safety focusing on indoor cooking. I have never included reminders on how to safely use your BBQ grill and how to dispose of used charcoal briquettes in December!!! However, warmer than usual temperatures have prompted some to consider firing up the grill and cooking outside for the Eve and Christmas Day.
PGFD recommends that you exercise caution and keep safety in mind when setting up, using and cleaning your BBQ grill. Did you know that cooking, most notably "unattended cooking" is the number one cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George's County, this includes both inside and outside cooking: WATCH WHAT YOU HEAT!!!
•NEVER use a grill indoors including garages, overhangs and canopies
•By Law - Grills must be at least 30 feet away from any multi-family apartment dwelling.
•When using a grill at your single family home – homeowners should use a 10-foot perimeter from anything combustible – including your house!!! Never place a grill up against your house, wood deck or fence.
•In Prince George’s County - all grills are illegal to use on balconies of apartments and condominium apartments
•Do not allow children and pets to play near a grill - set up a 10 foot safety zone around your grill.
•Only use approved ignition fluids – NEVER use gasoline to ignite a grill
•Keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose or bucket of sand nearby to douse a grill fire that gets out of control.
•Inspect your grill before you ignite to ensure everything is in working order. This inspection includes all connections on your gas grills are tight and not leaking.
Charcoal ashes and used briquettes should be disposed of in a metal container and allowed to cool down for up to 48 hours before disposal. Keep ash container off of your wood deck and away from your house.
On behalf of the entire Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department we sit you Have a safe and Merry Christmas and Holiday Season!!!