@PGFDPIO Twitter

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Riverdale Heights House Fire Injures Firefighter and Displaces Family

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A malfunctioning electrical outlet caused a house fire that injured a firefighter and displaced the occupants.  At around 9:30 am, Tuesday, February 23, firefighters were alerted to a fire in a house in the 6600 block of Oliver Street in Riverdale Heights.  Fire/EMS units arrived to find a 2-story, Cape Cod style, single family home with fire showing from the top floor and roof. 

Firefighters conducted a search of the house interior and an interior attack on the fire.  All searches were negative and firefighters had the fire extinguished within 15 minutes of arrival.

One firefighter sustained a small burn injury during the firefight.  He was transported a Burn Unit where he was treated and released.

Fire Investigators found that a malfunctioning electrical outlet started the fire in an attic area converted to a bedroom.  A smoke alarm was in the house but determined to be non-working.  The cause of the fire is accidental and the estimated fire loss is $150,000.  No other injuries were reported.


Six adults and one child are displaced from this house.  The County Citizen Services Unit and the American Red Cross assisted the family with temporary arrangements.

















No comments:

Post a Comment