@PGFDPIO Twitter

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Updated Report on 2 Fires on Friday September 16

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
MEBrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Two significant structure fires occurred on Friday, September 16.  The first incident occurred just after 10:00 am at an automotive repair garage at 18008 Beech Lane in Accokeek.  Firefighters arrived to find a 1-story open and occupied structure with fire showing.  Firefighters from Charles County and Prince George's County conducted an exterior only attack on the fire that took about 30 minutes to extinguish. The structure is considered a total loss.

Fire Investigators determined the fire was started accidentally and attributed to a malfunction of a piece of equipment that ignited nearby combustibles.  Fire loss is estimated at $50,000.  No injuries were reported.

The leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George's County is cooking.  Most notably unattended cooking.  So was the case in the second structure fire of the day.  Just after 2:30 pm firefighters were alerted to a townhouse fire in the 1600 block of Willowood Court in Landover.  Fire and EMS units arrived to find a 2-story, middle of the row, townhouse with fire showing.  It required about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire.  The fire started on the rear deck and was caused by an unattended lit grill.  The fire quickly extended into the structure causing an estimated $50,000 in fire loss.

The cause of the fire is accidental.  One firefighter sustained a minor burn injury while fighting the fire.  Eight adults and five children were displaced.  This fire is another example why you must never leave cooking unattended, even an outside grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment