@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, December 19, 2016

Two Home Fires Occurred on Sunday Evening

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
MEBrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Two Sunday night home fires caused $55,000 in estimated fire loss and displaced seven adults, two children, 1 infant and several family pets.  Fortunately, no one was injured.

At around 7:00 pm, Sunday, December 18, firefighter/medics from the Bowie area were alerted to a house fire in the 1800 block of Price Lane in the Pointer Ridge community.  Fire/EMS units arrived to find a 2-story single family home with fire showing.  It appears a fire of an undetermined cause started in the area of an outside shed and extended to the house.  The home occupants; 2 adults and 2 children were able to safely escape but spent some anxious moments waiting to hear about their pets; 2 dogs and 2 cats.  They were soon reunited with the pets with the exception of 1 cat that remained missing as of last night.  The fire caused an estimated $35,000 in fire loss.  The family was receiving assistance by the County Citizen Services Unit and the Red Cross.

Another home fire occurred just after 9:30 pm, Sunday, in the 7700 block of Burnside Road in Landover.  Firefighters arrived to find a 2-story, end of the row, townhouse with smoke coming from the front of the house.  A working smoke alarm alerted the occupants of a fire allowing the 3 adults, an infant and dog to safely escape.  Firefighters on the scene reported a working kitchen fire with extension to the second floor.  The fire was quickly extinguished.  Unattended cooking appears to have ignited the fire that caused an estimated $20,000 in fire loss.  The family was receiving assistance from the County Citizen Services Unit and the Red Cross.

No injuries were reported in either incident. 

Cooking fires, most notably, unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George’s County and across the Country.  Never leave the kitchen while boiling, broiling and frying.  If you must leave the kitchen for any reason turn off your stove and/or oven.

Having a working smoke alarm increases the chances of you and your family surviving a fire by 50%.  Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home. Primarily, just outside of sleeping areas.  Prince George’s County Firefighters recommend you install 10-years smoke alarms and install one in every bedroom and sleep with your bedroom door closed.  In addition to working smoke alarms plan and practice an escape from your home.  Identify two ways out of every home and designate a safe meeting place outside.  For additional information on planning a safe escape from your home call the Fire/EMS Departments Community Risk Reduction and Outreach Office at 301-883-5250.


If you need a working smoke alarm installed in your home and cannot afford to buy one yourself call 311 and ask about our free smoke alarm installation program.

No comments:

Post a Comment