PGFD Smoke Alarm New Year Resolution Recommendations


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Are you having difficulty in choosing your 2012 New Year Resolutions???  The career, volunteer and civilian men and women of the Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department (PGFD) have a few ideas for you.  We recommend you adopt the TOP TEN Fire/EMS Department Smoke Alarm Resolutions for the New Year.  These are listed in no particular order, as they are all important.

I will maintain a working smoke alarm that emits a loud warning when smoke is detected.  It must be tested monthly, a fresh battery provided once a year and cleaned every so often.

I will check my smoke alarms monthly by pushing the test button on the front cover and listen for a warning signal.  No sound = no protection.  Not working?? Replace battery or entire alarm.

I will check my smoke alarms on the first of every month.  The number one is easy to remember and should remind you "Safety First" and "your family comes first."

I will provide my smoke alarms with a fresh battery at least once a year.  The day you provide a fresh battery should be consistent each year; your birthday, your spouses birthday, your oldest child’s birthday, a holiday, change-your-clock/change your battery.

I will designate one family member to be responsible for testing smoke alarms monthly and replacing the battery once-a year.  Everyone in the family should be made aware of the responsible person and reminders should be encouraged.

I will replace my smoke alarm if it is 10 years old and than every 10 years after.  A properly maintained smoke alarm (fresh batteries yearly and cleaned) works hard to protect you and your family every second of every day.  The alarm wears out and is not as reliable as it was when you first installed it; replace it every ten years.

I will include my smoke alarms when I perform household cleaning.  Use a vacuum wand or clean rag to remove any dust that may have accumulated.  Dust particles may affect the timely sounding of the alarm.

I will install working smoke alarms on every level of my home.  Most importantly is to have one in hallways outside of sleeping areas.

I will install a working smoke alarm in bedrooms where my family members sleep with their bedroom doors closed.

I will know and ensure my family knows what to do when a smoke alarm sounds – “get down, get low, get out.”  Have a family escape plan and practice it to ensure everyone knows two ways out of every room in the house and designate a meeting place outside when 911 can be called in safety.

A working smoke alarm provides you an early warning of a fire in your home.  Your chances of surviving a fire in your home is increased by 50% by having a working smoke alarm.   Having a family home escape planned and practiced increases your chances of survival even more.

A working smoke alarm allows home occupants to escape safely and make a quick notification to the fire department equating to an earlier arrival and mitigation of the fire before it is allowed to spread thereby saving property and helping firefighters to stay safe and go home after every call.

The Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department resolves to continue to provide the very best in Fire and Emergency Medical Services to our citizens, residents and visitors.  We vow that if you call and say you need a new smoke alarm that we will come to your house and install a working smoke alarm for you and your family; free of charge.  Call our Safety First line at 301-864-SAFE (7233).


Comments