A strong storm system that hit the West Coast earlier this week will impact the East Coast today, Sunday, January 24, 2010. The system has prompted the National Weather Service to post a Flash Flood Watch and Coastal Flooding Advisory until Monday, January 25, 2010. This storm system was one of several storms that caused extensive flooding and subsequent damage to California and generated a tremendous workload for the LAFD.
Citizens and residents should take appropriate care and exercise caution if travelling or venturing outdoors.
Flood Safety Tips...
• Never try to walk, swim, or drive through swift-moving floodwater. If you must walk in a flooded area, walk where the water is not moving. Remember, 2 feet of water will float your vehicle and 6 inches of fast moving floodwater can knock you off your feet.
• If you come upon floodwaters, STOP, TURN AROUND AND GO ANOTHER WAY!!
• Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road.
• If your car stalls, leave it and seek higher ground, if you can do so safely.
• Stay informed about the storm and possible flooding by listening to your NOAA weather radio, commercial radio or television.