MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
A Laurel family of four were taking advantage of a Sunday morning and sleeping in. Just after 9:00 am today electrical wiring ignited combustibles in the basement of a two-story townhouse in the 15000 block of Courtland Place. Within moments of the fire ignition a working smoke alarm sounded a loud warning of a fire. The family awoke to the piercing beeps of the smoke alarm and were able to escape safely and without injury.
Firefighters from the Laurel area arrived and had the fire extinguished within 15 minutes.
One firefighter sustained an ankle injury while working outside on the fire ground.
Fire Investigators have determined this fire to be accidental and attributed to electrical wiring. Fire loss is estimated at $20,000.
Smoke Alarms Save Lives.