@PGFDPIO Twitter

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Oxon Hill House Fire

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

A malfunctioning electrical outlet is being blamed for a fire that caused extensive damage to an Oxon Hill Home.  It was just after 8:00 pm on Friday, January 21, when firefighters and paramedics were alerted to a house on fire in the 7900 block of Barrett Road East.  Fire/EMS units arrived to find heavy fire showing from the 2-story single family home.

The fire grew quickly consuming both floors with the roof eventually collapsing into the structure.  The fire was initially fought from a defensive position outside of the structure, as the conditions inside were untenable.  Firefighters flowed thousands of gallons of water into the house to bring the fire under control.  The lone adult male occupant was outside and safe.

After nearly 30 minutes of working to knock down the heavy fire, a roof collapse and high amounts of water, firefighters could hear the faint barking of a dog coming from the burned out shell of the structure.  They traced the barking to the basement of the home and taking all necessary safety precautions entered the basement and rescued one of the family pets. A Jack Russell Terrier “Bishop” was removed and reunited with his owner.  Two other dogs remain unaccounted for.

Fire Investigators believe the fire is “Accidental” and estimate fire loss at about $250,000.  The structure is uninhabitable and the owner was receiving assistance with temporary shelter from the County Citizen Services Unit.  No firefighter or civilian injuries occurred during this incident.

Bishop receives some TLC after being rescued from the basement of a gutted Oxon Hill home.
PHOTO CREDIT TO : Rajah J. Rose.