@PGFDPIO Twitter

Friday, June 12, 2009

Insulator Fire in METRO Tunnel

Just after 11:00 AM, Friday, June 12, 2009, Prince George’s County Firefighters responded to the Addison Road METRO Station located at 100 Addison Road South in Seat Pleasant. METRO Control reported smoke in the tunnel on the in-bound tracks. Firefighters arrived and found a moderate amount of smoke in the tunnel with smoke being effectively removed by the ventilation systems that are part of all METRO tunnels. The smoke was ejected by way of the activated fans at the Yost Place Shaft located at East Capitol Street. Firefighters quickly determined that an “insulator” was burning on the track bed. Typically, these overheated insulators generate a large amount of smoke and are normally easily contained and extinguished.

At about 11:30 AM, firefighters did confirm the insulator fire was extinguished and that the ventilation system had removed the majority of the smoke. No injuries reported.

Firefighters returned to service at about 11:40 AM and turned the operations over to METRO Management.